Trip to the Beach

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Uncharted Territory . . .Northern Ireland

The next morning, we continued on to Belfast. As we came into Northern Ireland, we started seeing a lot of British Flags and some Irish ones here and there. See Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but some think that it should be reunified with Ireland! We weren't sure what we might find in Belfast. But much to our surprise, it was a pretty tame city. It reminded me a lot of New York City, minus the skyscrapers!


Photos of Belfast










We had some lunch and checked out this pub called Kelly's Cellar! It is the oldest operating pub in Northern Ireland! Some of the guys who planned the Rebellion in the 1700's met there to make plans! Really cool.

Photos of Kelly's Cellar









We got on the ferry here for Scotland and by 10:00 pm that night we were in Scotland. On the ferry, I met a lovely couple from Northern Ireland who were very willing to talk to me about the struggles in the north and many other subjects! They made a good point. Protestant, Catholic, who cares, we are all Christians!

Chillin' on the ferry to Scotland

Nick offers his thoughts:
The postcard Irish landscape, with her rolling green hills, remnant stones of medieval ruins, and endless pubs tickled my senses with a nostalgic reminder that we are leaving western civilization. And packed with enough material goods to open a small store in the 3rd world, my wife and I have set out to take the good news to India.
We boarded a massive ferry in Belfast, after completing a driving tour around the Republic and after a day’s journey through the North. The sun has begun to set, far away from Europe, and the approaching dusk brings in a chilly breeze. By taking refuge into the ship, I’m warmed but still able to watch the sunset. To the west, far beyond Ireland, lies my home.
The ferry is quite void of passengers but each seems lost in a stare of simple meditation. The Titanic was built in the same harbor from which we just left. A t-shirt from earlier summed things up, “She was fine when she left here.”
My mind hastened through the same things, ‘bills, clean water, and Mr. Franklin my alley cat.’ No. I try to shake off those thoughts and remember they are taken care of. God is in control. I recall when God was not in control and remember to let God have control. Christ told us to let the morrow take care of itself. He has supplied the birds and has given me the earth and sky as a signature of His control. Then why have we packed so many things? Ah yes, I remember, I was recently married.

1 Comments:

Blogger myla said...

this reminds me of when Irish jig music drew us into an Irish pub in downtown San Diego

6:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home